This is an all time favorite for breakfast. You can use either green or red chile sauce, and flour or corn tortillas. With black beans on the side, sliced avocado dressed with lime juice and sea salt as a garnish, this dish makes a satisfying meal any time of the day.
- Scramble 1 dozen eggs and set aside in a bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into medium-large skillet. Lay 3 - 4 corn tortillas on the bottom, covering as much of the bottom of the skillet as you can.
- Spread scrambled eggs over the tortillas. Top with about a cup of enchilada sauce and a cup of cheese. (Use more or less sauce depending on your preference.)
- Lay 3 - 4 more corn tortillas on top of the eggs and pour the rest of the sauce on top, spreading it as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the last cup of cheese over the sauce.
- Cover the skillet with a well-fitting lid and turn the stove top on low heat for about 15 minutes. Check to see if all the cheese is melted and if the sauce is bubbling. If not, cover and let cook another 5 - 10 minutes.
- When the Huevos Rancheros are heated all the way through, bubbling and hot, remove from heat and garnish with chopped avocado, cilantro, diced tomatoes and/or green onions. Serve with refried pinto beans or black beans.