Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 45 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr
This recipe is from The Basics and More Cookbook by Virginia and Elsie Hoover.
- Thoroughly grease and flour 2 glass or metal bread pans.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of white flour with yeast and salt.
- Heat water, cottage cheese, butter and honey together in sauce pan until warm. Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add whole wheat flour, oats and nuts. Stir in remaining flour. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise until double. Punch down. Make 2 loaves and place in greased and floured bread pans. Rise again, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- Tip: Just before the final rise, you can brush the outside of the dough-loaves with a 50/50 egg white and water mixture and then roll the dough in a mixture of seeds to coat the outside. Try sesame, flax, sunflower, poppy and walnuts. Then proceed to rise and bake as usual.